Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Noodle Ideology

I HAVE JUST COMPLETED THE BOOK WHAT A HUSBAND NEEDS FROM HIS WIFE by Melanie Chitwood.  IT IS A BOOK THAT I WILL REFERENCE OFTEN AS I NAVIGATE MY WAY THROUGH LIFE AS WIFE TO A CERTAIN JEFF LARSON, MD. 
(I would highly recommend this encouraging and uplifting read.  It has prompted me to reflect on many areas of my marriage, providing an opportunity to reevaluate my motives, refocus my attention, and remember the vows I made to my husband, and why I want to UPHOLD them, CHERISH them, and HONOR them for the rest of my live long day.)

WHILE READING LAST NIGHT, I CAME ACROSS THE FOLLOWING EXPLANATION FOR WHY MEN AND WOMEN COMMUNICATE DIFFERENTLY.  MY INITIAL RESPONSE WAS TO DISMISS THE QUIRKY COMPARISON; HOWEVER, AFTER THINKING ABOUT IT (AND ART SMITH'S RECIPE FOR SOUR CREAM WAFFLES - SEE "WHAT'S IN THE KITCHEN" FOR RECIPE) I FOUND IT TO BE QUITE ENLIGHTENING.

Sour Cream Waffles
image from 101cookbooks.com

"A man's thinking is...
divided up into boxes that have room for one issue and one issue only.  The first issue of life goes in the first box, the second issue goes in the second box, and so on.  The typical man lives in one box at a time and one box only.  When a man is at work, he is at work.  When he is in the garage tinkering around, he is in the garage tinkering...As a result, men are problem solvers by nature.  They enter a box, size up the "problem," and formulate a solution."

tomato sauce with butter and onion
image taken from Smitten Kitchen

"Women on the other hand...
process life like a plate of pasta.  If you look at a plate of spaghetti, you notice that there are lots of individual noodles that all touch one another.  If you attempted to follow one noodle around the plate, you would intersect a lot of other noodles, and you might even switch to another noodle seamlessly.  That is how women face life.  Every thought and issue is connected to every other thought and issue in some way.  Life is much more of a process for women that it is for men." 

-from Men Are Like Waffles - Women Are Like Spaghetti
by Bill and Pam Farrel


IF YOU WOULD ALLOW ME TO TAKE THIS ANALOGY ONE STEP FURTHER...

WHILE A WAFFLE IN AND OF ITSELF IT DELICIOUS, WHAT WAFFLE IS NOT MADE BETTER BY THE ADDITION OF BUTTER OR SYRUP?  SIMILARLY, IS A NOODLE NOT ENHANCED BY THE SAUCE THAT IS LADLED UPON IT?  MAY WE, AS WIVES, BE THE SWEET SYRUP THAT COMPLEMENT AND ELEVATE OUR HUSBAND'S LIVES. 

Two are better than one,
    because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down,
his friend can pick him up.
But, pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!
Also, if two lie down together,
they will be warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

2 comments:

  1. you know i love those waffles! :)

    totally going to download this book today. andy's parents gave me a new book - of my choice - for my birthday and i think this would be a great choice. my psychologist mother-in-law would totally approve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Becky! Would this be a good book to do as a Bible Study. We are looking for a new book for a small Bible study here (all women) and I think something about how to take care of our hubbies would be great! As always, thanks for sharing....you are such a good writer! Love ya

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs