Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Kindergarten & Second


"Our goal with our children is to first be making people who live in a state of art appreciation - worshipping the God who painted them into a masterpiece."
~ Rachel Jankovic


My mother often retells the story of my first day of kindergarten, a memory that is more vivid for her than me.  I walked confidently into the classroom and never looked back to say good-bye.  Now that I've experienced the first day of kindergarten for two of our children, I understand why this is such a significant memory for her.  The weight and release of sending our little ones into a classroom for the first time unlocks a treasure trove of memories affirming just how quickly time has passed and just how much has already been accomplished. 

I had many assumptions about the kind of school year we would have as I resumed my role as co-teacher, implementing lessons plans within our home two days a week.  Just like with so many things in motherhood, I soon realized it is near impossible to predict the final outcome of things when it comes to children.  And, I'm slowly learning that it is in this middle ground that the sweetest of tensions exists - one of knowing your child intimately, but admitting that there is still much to learn, be surprised by and inspired by.  I learned also, that part of my role as mother and co-teacher is to make space for this growth to occur, to sit back, admire, observe, and wait for their individual gifts and interests to emerge. 



Second grade (with the little lady) was a mixture of growing independence, interests and passions defined, and the realization that while her plans often take her outside of our home, the comforts of home are what bring her the most joy, security and love.  Math challenged, science intrigued, and she found the greatest satisfaction in preparing for and presenting her ideas aloud.   She tenderly worked through her first peer conflicts and together, she and I learned the value of creating space to listen, talk, and be vulnerable.  It was during this year that I realized how seven quickly becomes eight, and then nine... and sixteen.  As she learns to confide, I am learning how to respond with grace, humility, and love.  Just as I hope to inspire, motivate and encourage her young heart, she continues to help refine and shape me as a mother. 

Favorites:
~ Reading the Happy Hollisters and note taking
~ Studying space and visiting UW Space Place
~ Portraying Mary in the Christmas program
~ Recorders in music, sculpting in art, and playing Glinda, the good witch in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
~ Carpool with friends
~ Staying late to help clean up after the Art Gallery and Bard Cafe
~ Backyard discoveries with Joey

Kindergarten (with the little man) was a sweet blend of discovering new strengths, exploring new curiosities, growing in patience and acceptance, recognizing his own voice and learning that his ideas have value and are worth being shared.  In all honesty, I anticipated more rough patches knowing both his strengths and weaknesses and the many ways that he and big sister differ.  He surprised me with his desire to be accurate and precise, his willingness to try again after a little encouragement, and his ability to transition between school and satellite classroom well.  Watching him read for the first time and make corrections on a final science project independently were a highlight for me as both mother and co-teacher.  Observing him as he helped occupy his younger siblings during lessons and the joy he felt as he interacted and played with his older sister were a gentle reminder of how big his heart is, and how tender. 

Favorites:
~ The study of plants and mammals
~ Proper English tea party
~ Making new friends and playing on the playground
~ Music class and making instruments
~ Losing his first tooth right after the Christmas program during refreshments
~ Proudly displaying his lost tooth to friends and teachers
~ Reading Aesop's Fables







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs