Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pioneer Woman's Comfort Meatballs

My husband will eat anything I set in front of him.  He is considerate like that.  He is both quick to compliment a meal or suffer in silence if the meal is less than stellar.  Thankfully, I'm a more confident cook than I once was as a new and blushing bride.  When he becomes particularly chatty about a dish, I take notice.   This was such a dish, the perfect pairing for a chilly autumn evening.
 
Meatballs:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef/chuck or sirloin
3/4 cup quick oats
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons very finely minced onion
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
freshly ground pepper
 
4 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup flour
 
Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons sugar (I used one as I don't love sweet sauces.)
3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4-6 tablespoons minced onion
Dash of Tabasco or Frank's Hot Sauce
 
1. In a bowl, combine the ground beef and oats.
2. Pour in the milk, then add the diced onion and salt.
3. Add the black pepper, then stir to combine.
4.  Roll the mixture into tablespoon-size balls and refrigerate for 45 minutes to firm.
5.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
6. Dredge the meatballs in the flour.
7.  Brown the meatballs in batches until light brown.
8.  As they brown, place the meatballs into a rectangular baking dish.
9.  Stir together the sauce ingredients and drizzle evenly on the meatballs.
10.  Bake for about 45 minutes until bubbly and hot.
 
As a side, I whipped up a batch of Yukon Gold mashed potatoes.  I like to add a bit of heavy cream, a dollop (or two) of sour cream (cream cheese is also a tasty alternative), and plenty of butter to our mashed potatoes, but that's just me.  My husband has never complained. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs