Monday, October 28, 2013

On (Biblical) hospitality

True hospitality is sacrificial, uncomfortable, and does not seek to impress others.
Trisha Wilkerson
 


One of the reasons we chose a home in Fitchburg, WI was because we had committed ourselves to being part of a church plant in the city.  Having been raised in the church, we were excited about the idea of being a part of something from the ground up, witnessing first hand the very detailed and thoughtful process involved in church planting and watching the Lord's faithful hand at work in both our lives and the lives of others.  Honestly, I do not think that either of us were fully prepared for the many ways church planting would shake up our lives, our routines, our family life, our expectations, our understanding of the body of Christ and of what living a life of intentionality truly looks like.  When you decide to become part of a core, a humble core of eleven (eighteen if you include our motely crew of children), you cannot be a casual observer.  You must show up, be available, become vulnerable, and open up the doors of your home. 
 
This idea of welcoming others into our home was something that we always anticipated as the Lord moved us from our Shaker Heights apartment to our first single family home in Fitchburg.  I envisioned hosting dinners around our new kitchen table, intentionally leaving the leaf in, so that we could always seat eight comfortably, and positioning our furniture in such a way that would create a comfortable atmosphere to gather and converse.  It came as a bit of a surprise then, when I found myself suddenly feeling a bit overwhelmed at the prospect of weekly gatherings, bodies crowding around our table, shoes piled up at our front door, children exploring every corner of our home.  Just when we were being called to open up, invite in, and share our lives with others, I found myself craving quiet evenings on the couch, less conversation, a tidy, organized and peaceful sanctuary. 
 
 
It is no wonder I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal, I crave comfort.  I thrive in controlled settings, I enjoy predictable, and I welcome routine. I turned to the Lord, completely aware of what He was asking of me, of what He would continue to ask of me.  I needed to set aside my personal comforts for the greater good of our new community.  I needed to identify and name the specific temptations that challenged my desire to use our home for His glory.  As Jeff and I began to lay our requests before the Lord, He began to stir within us a new and honest desire to welcome others into our home.  Today, I received an email from my husband, directing me here.  In her post on biblical hospitality, Trisha Wilkerson, identifies the difference between entertaining and hospitality.  I found her words to be both convicting and thought provoking, and I look forward to practicing the art of true hospitality within our home, community and new city. 
 
Biblical hospitality is the outpouring of mercy and grace to others without expectation for reciprocation.
Trisha Wilkerson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs