Monday, October 14, 2013

Peeling back the layers


Back in August I had the great privilege of attending the Women of Faith conference with two of my favorite gals.  It was a beautiful and sacred time, one that I have not quite been able to write about because I honestly do not have the right words to fully express what that time away meant for me. 

 
While at the conference I was compelled to purchase several new books, CDs and paraphernalia that would be a tangible reminder of the weekend, words to uplift, motivate and challenge, songs to inspire and trinkets to encourage.  I could not keep my credit card in my wallet. (I blame the Holy Spirit.)  I wanted to bottle up each word spoken and melody sung, the laughter, the tears, the tantalizing fragrance of sweet sisterhood. One of the titles I purchased (and admittedly regretted purchasing after realizing the topic was different that what I expected) was Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food by Lysa TerKeurst. Captivated by the idea of craving, I had failed to read the small print.  However, I did not return the book, made a few jokes about the possibility of my waistline needing such a book, and placed it at the bottom of my book pile upon returning home.
 
***
Fast forward to now, where presently our church plant is discussing the topic of personal idolatry. Steve Childers writes, "An idol is anything in this world, other than God, that you find your ultimate significance, security, identity, satisfaction.  Idols are often times good things, like family, security, status, success, money, power which become ultimate things." As I took an honest evaluation of my life, using a series of thought-provoking questions, it became clear to me the many things I often and unintentionally elevate to an idol status.  Good things like my marriage, our children, our home, friendships, security, and yes, even food.  In all honesty, I wasn't even surprised to find that food made my list.  I yammer on about it enough, my delight in it, the thrill of experiencing a new restaurant, taking the perfect bite, finding new and satisfying recipes, planning for and preparing weekly meals, and be. still. my. heart. sitting around a table with friends, wine glasses full, an assortment of plates in front of us, laughing and eating our way into the evening...
  These ARE good things.  And yet,
 
TerKeurst writes, "God made us capable of craving so we'd have an unquenchable desire for Him, and Him alone.  Nothing changes until we make the choice to direct our misguided cravings to the only one capable of satisfying them."

As I peeled back the layers, revealing deep-rooted desires, needs, wants, and cravings, I became increasingly aware of the fact that many of the "good things" in my life had become distractions.  Worse, they had become idols.  This isn't an easy realization; however, naming these personal idols has started the slow process of liberation.  I may not need the book, Crave, in the way others may need it, but it was no mistake that it found its way into my duffle bag. I crave many things.  And, I am confident, I will continue to crave a good meal. However, it is my earnest desire that above any other craving, I crave the One who made craving possible.  The One who so thoughtfully created taste buds that I might know the sweet and satisfying flavor of the perfect cup of coffee swirled with hazelnut creamer as I rise to meet Him each morning. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs