Thursday, October 10, 2013

Her Words

I have an inner circle, an intimate group of women who have become a figurative backbone in this life's journey, who make themselves available, listen, cry out on my behalf, hold me accountable and breath fresh life into me through Scripture, music, and patient words on days when I need it most.  Their vulnerability humbles me, as they speak freely, revealing their weaknesses, strengths, fears, hopes and dreams (those realized and those dashed, leaving broken hearts).  More than anything, their presence in my life compels me to lift my gaze upward, focusing my heart and mind on our gracious and loving Lord, our heavenly Father, who has united us in love and purpose, gifting us this friendship and sisterhood. 
 
And, because we are women, willing to open up and chat about almost any topic under the sky, their influence runs deep, touching many areas of my life from favorite jeans to coffee creamers, iPhone cases to favorite literature.  Recently, one of my gals introduced me to an author whose words I cannot get enough of.  I have welcomed her into my quiet time, allowing her life's story, her honest words and reflections to inspire my own, calling my attention time and time again to the One who knows me best, and pursues me.  
 
Today, I'm grateful for words that refine, challenge and compel, and for the women in my life that know my heart, love me well, and are willing to take my hand, and walk this life with me.
 
from Mended: Pieces of a Life Made Whole
by Angie Smith 
 
"We are supposed to look different than the rest of the world.  We shouldn't be the ones that waiters dread because we don't tip after dinner, or the ones that roll our eyes when something is taking longer than we feel it should. Quite frankly, we just aren't that important.
 
We are supposed to be a refuge, an encouragement, a reflection of the One we serve.  I know it isn't easy to do it all the time, and in fact, I think is pretty much impossible.  But it doesn't mean that as you walk through your day, you shouldn't search for ways to do everything a little better.
 
It's not about getting cozy and staying that way.  It's about being a disciple.  A follower of Christ.  Follow Him.  Burdens, brokenness, control-freak tendencies and all.  Don't wait until you have achieved a level of perfection that only exists in your mind. What is He asking you to do today, wherever you are?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs