Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bionic children

File:Fleishersuperman.jpg

Each parent undoubtedly believes their child is magical, possessing a certain uniqueness that makes them one of if not the best kid in the world.   If blessed with multiple children, the magic is multiplied, making the world a better place. 

While exhibiting many endearing and fantastically crazy traits, it appears our children also possess a heightened and somewhat bionic sense of smell (the little man) and hearing (the little lady).  I am both impressed and mystified by our little bloodhound and auditory wonder woman as they daily demonstrate their superhuman strengths.

The faintest of smells can be detected by the little man.  He spends much of his day with nose scrunched, questioning, "Smell?"  Long before I have had any olfactory experience of my own, he has identified a new, displeasing, alarming or satisfying smell.  Apartment living has definitely enhanced his God given gift of smell.  There is no telling what new scent we will discover in our hallways on any given day.

Not to be outdone, the little lady spends her days with ears perked, attentive to the many sounds that whir, buzz, bang, clang and chime around her.  Last week after putting her to bed, she appeared at her doorway with a sudden inquiry, "Who's cutting their nails?"  Stunned, I admitted that it was I who was standing at the kitchen sink clipping my nails.  Admittedly we do not have a large apartment;  however, she was able to detect the tiny snap of my brittle nails down a long hallway, and over the sound of her rushing waterfall sound machine.  Call me crazy, but I was impressed.


While their gifts may not rid the world of evil, they do add a certain comedic value to our days. 



1 comment:

  1. I love it! Cal and Char can eavesdrop together. Cal is very attune to even the furnace turning on and off.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs