Friday, February 10, 2012

Strawberry Oatmeal Bars

I'd like to think that given the opportunityRee Drummond and I would become friends.  And, I would be lying if I didn't also include Ina Garten in that pipe dream, but the fact that she caters to the Hampton crowd significantly reduces the chance of us ever meeting.  But, I digress.


These days, when the little lady and I are looking to whip up a little love in the kitchen, we turn to our auburn-haired friend for inspiration.  After watching a recent episode of The Pioneer Woman on the Food Network, we both fell head over heels for her Strawberry Oatmeal Bar recipe.  We will look forward to snacking on these sweet treats all weekend long, the perfect precursor to Valentine's Day.  

recipe by Ree Drummond, 2011

Ingredients:
1 3/4 sticks salted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for greasing the pan (I didn't have salted on hand, so I through in a little extra kosher salt, than the recipe calls for.)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
one 10 to 12-ounce jar strawberry preserves (She of course, had made her own.  I used Smucker's! Really any flavor of preserves will do.)

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 9x13 rectangular pan.
2. Mix together the butter, flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.  A pastry or dough blender comes in handy for this.
3. Press half of the oat mixture into the prepared pan.  Spread with the preserves.  Sprinkle the other half of the oat mixture over the top and pat lightly.
4. Bake until light brown, 30-40 minutes.  Let cool completely, and then cut into squares.

2 comments:

  1. ironically i love her and her blog but did not enjoy her show whatsoever...

    these look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that her show is not as strong as her blog and other writings. C and I happened to watch one on demand, and it was the episode with this recipe. :) I'll be your girls will love these.

      Delete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs