Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Prediction

On my way out of the classroom this morning, one of the little lady's teachers smiled and told me, "Charlotte is so expressive; I see musical theater in her future."  I smiled back thinking, "You see it, too?"


As a mother, there are few things more encouraging and comforting than knowing someone (outside of your immediate family) "gets your child." That they see your beautiful babe for the precious and unique individual they were created to be.  That they are sympathetic to the particulars that can make or break your child's day.  That they marvel, in the same way you do, over little achievements unique to their developing and maturing mind.  That they accept your child's natural speaking voice is loud, and are eager to hear each amplified word that is spoken.  That they understand your child's need for routine and order, and are not put off when said child voices a concern over changes in the schedule or attempts to correct them on her own.

As mothers, it is easy to get caught up in the modification of behaviors, so that our children fit a particular standard or mold.  Heaven forbid they stand out in a crowd.  Yet, in our efforts to correct, refine, and refrain our children, we may very well be missing the opportunity to reinforce, esteem, and encourage all that makes them unique, for they were fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139)

It has been said that it takes a village to raise children, and thankfully the inhabitants of my village happen to be extremely thoughtful, encouraging, supportive, funny, honest, and affirming.  Not long ago, after our little lady's storytelling incident, I received an email from a friend.  In it she wrote, "Charlotte is such a unique young lady.  Her imagination and creativity reflect God's own image...as we all do, but it's so special to see it come out in certain people in such dramatic ways."   My dear friend could not have known how her words would impact me then, or how they have since come to mind, serving as a reminder of how precious and unique a gift our little lady is.   Furthermore, how precious she is in the eyes of her Creator. 

Each night when I put our little gal to bed after a long (and typically dramatic) day, I am reminded of Olivia's mother's words to her own piglet, "You know, you really wear me out.  But I love you anyway." To which Olivia responds, "I love you anyway, too."  Such a beautiful and honest exchange that chokes me up each time I read it.  I look forward to the years of wear our little lady will bring, for I could not imagine loving a little thespian more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs