Monday, April 4, 2011

A Place of Thus Far

THIS WEEK MY INBOX HELD A DEVOTIONAL, THE CONTENTS OF WHICH HAVE INSPIRED GREAT THOUGHT AND REFLECTION. 

["Then King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said:  Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me thus far?" 1 Samuel 7:18

Have you ever been in a place of "thus far?"  A place where you are experiencing God's blessings and favor on your life?  Not blessings by the world's standards of materialism and wealth, but by the Lord's standards of provision, protection, providence, and peace that come from walking in his presence daily.]


WHILE IN NO WAY DOES MY LIFE COMPARE TO THAT OF DAVID'S (shepherd boy to king!), I CANNOT HELP BUT PAUSE IN AWE AND GRATITUDE AS I READ OF HIS QUIET EXCHANGE WITH THE LORD AND CONSIDER HIS QUESTION.  FOR IT IS BY GOD'S GRACE AND THE GUIDANCE OF HIS FAITHFUL HAND THAT I FIND THAT I MIGHT BE IN MY VERY OWN PLACE OF "THUS FAR."  AND, THAT I SHOULD REALIZE THIS MERE MONTHS BEFORE OUR FAMILY FACES ONE OF ITS BIGGEST TRANSITIONS TO DATE, IS NO SMALL MIRACLE. 

HIS PROVISION
-Jeff has been provided the opportunity to train at Cleveland Clinic, a highly respected hospital, in the areas of micro and reconstructive surgery, two areas of great interest. 
-The quick sell of our home, and a lead on a newly renovated two bedroom apartment (that we will most likely call home) in Cleveland.
-Family who daily supports us in prayer, with calls of encouragement, and by extending their love.
-Friends who support, sharpen and strengthen us as they walk along side us on this journey.


HIS PROTECTION
-We have two beautiful children who are seldom sick, sleep soundly, and continue to be free from serious injury.  (Now that we have our boy, I see how much I need to be in prayer for his safety!)
-Jeff has traveled many times this year always returning home safe to his family (something I will never take for granted and continue to be so thankful for).
-I continue to be in good health  (having had only one bout with the flu this winter), so that I am able to care for our family.
-Our beloved town home provides shelter each day, keeping us warm and cool as the seasons change.

HIS PROVIDENCE
[ noun - 1. God's care 2. foresight ]
-In January, we began attending a small church plant on the east side of town. Since attending The Vine, I have witnessed a change in both Jeff and I as we have fostered new friendships, become more disciplined in our time with the Lord, discuss weekly sermons, and engage with this excited body of believers.  They have joined us in shepherding our little ones, and weekly encourage their understanding of and love for the Lord. Charlotte loves her "vine church."
-The Lord brought Jeff into my life at a young age and because of that He has allowed me the opportunity to accompany Jeff on his medical journey from day one.  Having seen each stage of education, witnessing each season of growth, and sharing in it's ups and downs has softened my heart towards the process, allowing me to be a bigger cheerleader, steady encourager, and strong support for Jeff.  
-Jeff interviewed with many programs while applying for residency and ranked 14 programs around the country as places of interest to train.  The fact that the Lord granted us our number one choice of programs, placing us in Madison for five years has been a wonderful gift.  We have been able to see our families often, grow in appreciation for them, share in special family events, and maintain our close friendships.  Yet, the seventy miles separating us has also allowed us the opportunity to grow in our marriage and as parents to two young ones.  Our time here has been fruitful, and has proven to be a precious time of growth.

HIS PEACE
-I feel secure and loved as a wife.
-I receive abundant love and affection from our two children daily. I am there when they wake and am the last one to snuggle with them before bed.
-I am fulfilled as a homemaker.
-I find deep satisfaction in being a wife and helper to my husband who I genuinely adore.
-I am blessed to have the support and love of two godly parents.
-I have faithful friends who are there in good times and bad to strengthen, support, encourage and love.
-I know I am loved, cared for, and watched over by my Lord and Savior.  He has a plan for my life, and daily provides purpose, strength, renewal, and peace (that surpasses all understanding). 

LORD, HELP ME TO NOT FORGET THIS PLACE OF THUS FAR.


2 comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs