Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Meatless Meal - Cherry Tomato + Ravioli Soup

I HAVE MY FRIEND, MEL, TO THANK FOR THIS QUICK AND SATISFYING SOUP RECIPE.  (SHE GOES MEATLESS EACH MONDAY NIGHT, SOMETHING WE PLAN TO DO AFTER OUR POSITIVE JOURNEY INTO VEGETARIANISM.)  THE FINAL PRODUCT IS QUITE LOVELY, WITH BRIGHT POPS OF COLOR FROM THE CHERRY TOMATOES, SCALLIONS AND FLUFFY RAVIOLI.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 pints cherry tomatoes (I used one and found it to be the perfect amount for my taste.)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups chicken stock
1 pound fresh cheese ravioli
1 cup basil leaves, torn (I must admit I left this out.)
1 bunch scallions, chopped

In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Stir in cherry tomatoes and garlic and season with salt and pepper.  Cover the pan and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, for approximately 10 minutes or when tomatoes burst.  (If you have never had the privilege of hearing sweet little tomatoes burst in a puddle of hot oil, let me tell you it is a joy to overhear.) 

Add chicken stock and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.  Add the ravioli and cook until tender.  Remove from heat and stir in basil and scallions to wilt. 

I recommend serving it with freshly shaved Parmesan and warm, crusty Italian bread (of course)!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs