Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Curried Couscous

I MADE THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS PAST SUNDAY WHILE ENTERTAINING.  I SERVED IT ALONG SIDE ROASTED CHICKEN BREASTS AND A FRESH TOMATO SALAD.  IT WAS A LOVELY SUMMER MEAL, AND THE KIDS AND I HAVE BEEN ENJOYING THE LEFTOVER COUSCOUS ALL WEEK LONG. 
(It's from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook in case you're wondering.  And, while it's a lot of ingredients, it is easy and fun to prepare.)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups couscous
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek)
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 Teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 Teaspoon curry powder
1/4 Teaspoon tumeric
 (When I went to my spice shelf, all I had was an empty container, thus this ingredient was left out.)
1 1/2 Teaspoons kosher salt
1 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup grated (or small-diced) carrots (I opted diced.)
1/2 cup minced fresh-flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup dried currents, golden raisins or raisins (Having small children, I have an excess of plain ol' raisins, so that was the obvious choice.)
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
1/4 cup small-diced red onion

Place the couscous in a medium bowl.  Melt the butter in the boiling water and pour over the couscous.  Cover tightly and allow the couscous to soak for 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork. 
Whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, curry, tumeric, salt and pepper.  Pour over the fluffed couscous and mix well with a fork.  Add the carrots, parsley, currants, almonds, scallions, and red onions; mix well and taste for seasoning.  Serve at room temperature.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs