Sunday, June 17, 2012

One (more) down, one more to go


Last June we celebrated Jeff's graduation from residency, and last night we got gussied up and attended his graduation dinner honoring the completion of his aesthetic fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic. As it turned out, we arrived a bit overdressed as the event was a casual but lovely backyard cookout, and Jeff was quickly directed to remove his tie.  Thankfully, I'm not much of a high heels gal, and fit in nicely, albeit a bit too nicely as another expectant woman showed up in the same maternity maxi dress.  Needless to say, our evening got off to a humorous start, but ended sweetly as Jeff received his certificate of completion and a stunning framed image of him operating.

On evenings such as these I'm grateful for so many things, but perhaps the thing for which I am most grateful is having had the privilege of accompanying him on this journey since its beginning.  He and I left for college knowing what major we would each declare, and for the past fourteen years I have witnessed each struggle, triumph, obstacle, and success on this road to becoming a surgeon.  In all honesty, it is hard to believe the finish line is within reach. 

So, what does the immediate future hold for us?  Beginning July 2nd, Jeff will join Cleveland Clinic's staff as a Clinical Associate.  He will stay on through December, and in January 2013 will begin a six month micro surgery fellowship through the Medical College of WI, a position that will allow us to return to our hometown of Milwaukee.  We are thankful for both opportunities and are trusting the Lord as we seek job opportunities for June 2013.

It has been a long road, but one for which I am very grateful.  And of course, having your very own cheerleading squad makes the difficult days a bit easier, and the journey that much more meaningful.
 

"He's Always Been Faithful to Me"
Sara Groves

Morning by morning I wake up to find
The power and comfort of God’s hand in mine
Season by season I watch Him, amazed
In awe of the mystery of His perfect ways
All I have need of, His hand will provide
He’s always been faithful to me.

I can’t remember a trial or a pain
He did not recycle to bring me gain
I can’t remember one single regret
In serving God only, and trusting His hand
All I have need of, His hand will provide
He’s always been faithful to me.

This is my anthem, this is my song
The theme of the stories I’ve heard for so long
God has been faithful, He will be again
His loving compassion, it knows no end
All I have need of, His hand will provide
He’s always been faithful, He’s always been faithful
He’s always been faithful to me.

1 comment:

  1. can't believe how fast the last year has sped by! many congrats to all of you for completing this leg of your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs