Friday, September 30, 2011

Cheesy Potato and Corn Chowder

Another week, another soup. 

But first, may I introduce you to my newest love...

*I could not bring myself to use two sticks of butter, slathering only one on the two halves.

This weekend, I urge you to pick up your favorite loaf of bread from the bakery and follow these simple steps to heaven on earth.  I kid you not, the doc and I just consumed an entire loaf of Rustic Italian Pave from On the Rise bakery with leftover chowder, and life just got a little sweeter (and fuller).  You read that right, an entire loaf between the two of us.  Excuse me while I go change into sweats.  Oy.  
I almost regret stumbling upon this recipe, which will inevitably prevent me from shedding the extra lbs I packed on since walking through the doors of On the Rise.  Bread is to me what chocolate is to so many.  I continue to be seduced by its fresh baked aroma, crusty exterior, soft interior and the harmonious pairing of warm bread and melted butter.  A trip to South Beach might be in order, if you know what I mean. 

From allrecipes.com with slight modifications by yours truly

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth or stock
3 cups peeled and cubed potatoes (I prefer Yukon Gold)
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
1 (2.5 ounce) package country style gravy mix (I have yet to find "country style" any basic gravy mix will do.)
1 cup milk
1 cup half and half
1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese blend
salt and pepper to taste

In large pot, melt butter over medium high heat.  Add chopped celery and onion; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add chicken broth; bring to a boil.  Add potatoes; cook over low heat for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally.

Stir in corn and chilies; return to boiling.  Dissolve gravy mix in milk, and stir both milk and half and half into boiling mixture.  Add cheese; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted.

Garnish with extra cheese and dollop of sour cream (if desired). 
 And, don't forget "The Bread!"






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs