Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Nets

"It was a net, dropped into unlikely water and brought to the surface with gasps of awe. 
 
There is new life now -  life that wasn't expected or deserved.  We should marvel at the gift in the same way they did as the nets tore apart and the boats quaked with the weight of it all. 
 
Had it not been for the overwhelming barrenness, there would not have been such appreciation for what He provided."
 
from Chasing God by Angie Smith

 
 
Sometimes, it appears as though we labor in vain.  We put forth a solid effort, going about our work in the best way we know how, but for whatever reason when it comes time to measure our progress, we have little to show for it.  It was certainly the case for the fisherman mentioned in Luke 5.  
 
...he (Jesus) saw at the water's edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets.  He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore.  Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat.  
 
When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch." 
 
Simon answered, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything.  But because you say so, I will let down the nets."
 
When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. (verses 2-6)
 
Today, as I read this passage with fresh eyes, a few things stood out to me. 
 
1. While coming up empty, after a long and labored night of work, the fisherman were met washing their nets, completing their daily tasks, so that they would be prepared for next evening's cast.  They were deflated, but not defeated.

2. How rad it would be to listen to Jesus preach from a boat. 
 
3. Simon's response - his honest and admitted frustration before the Master ["We have worked hard all night..."] yet, in his very next breath, implicit trust ["But because you say so, I will..."]
{emphasis mine} 
 
4.  The fisherman's obedience resulted in a bounty that was far greater than anything they could have anticipated or expected.
 
I know there is a picture floating around out there of me in cut-off denim shorts, standing on a rock in the middle of a river holding up a fish I'd caught in northern Wisconsin, but a fisherman I am not.  And, while I will never know the labor involved in casting and catching, I can understand the disappointment of an empty net.  And yet...and yet, what beauty there is to behold in the unexpected provision that awaits a heart bowed down in humble obedience.   I'm sure Simon had his doubts.  I'm confident he was fatigued and ready to call it a day.  I can appreciate his need to validate his efforts before the Master, (how often I find myself doing the same).  But, in spite of the fatigue, the doubt, the temptation to rely on his own strength, "because you say so, I will..." 

I have witnessed many evidences of grace in my life.  Through each season, be it one of disappointment or deep and satisfying fulfillment, God's faithful hand has been there to steady, guide, and direct.  And so, it is with great confidence that even when faced with an empty net, my prayer will be "because you say so, I will..."

I trust in You


1 comment:

  1. You never cease to amaze me. Because I know where this is coming from, it is all the more meaningful. Your faithful obedience and submission to the Lord and His will in your life encourages the same in my heart. Thank you, dear friend, for writing these words and sharing your heart. It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs