Thursday, May 16, 2013

Blessed x3

  Some may believe that Mother's Day is the equivalent of a Hall Pass, relinquishing one of all motherly tasks or duties.  And, while I cannot deny the appeal of lingering in bed, foregoing the laundry or a day of relaxation at a spa, for truth be told I'd enjoy every single minute of having my tense muscles rubbed down in a dimly lit room complete with corner water feature and sounds of nature playing softly overhead, as mothers it is easy to let our expectations for this special day lead us down a path of ingratitude, frustration or simply wanting more, be it more rest, appreciation, recognition, etc.  Since becoming a mother, Jeff has made sure that I have felt loved and valued on Mother's Day, thoughtfully seeking out the perfect gift for me on behalf of the children, but he and I have an ongoing joke that on days such as these our children seem to display uncharacteristically bad behaviors, becoming pint-sized narcissists.  To prove my point, for the second year in a row, just after waking and eyeing my metallic hot pink helium Mother's Day balloon, the little lady asked, "When is Children's Day?" Armed with my morning cup of coffee, I politely reminded her of a thing known as birthdays, and the numerous Hello Kitty balloons that filled our home in her honor. (Bless her.) 
 
This Mother's Day was the perfect combination of sweet and stressful, tender moments tempered by every day challenges.  As I went about the day attending to the needs of each of our little ones, I fought the urge to become overwhelmed, choosing instead to embrace their demands big and small.  For without our three little ones, who daily fill my life with giggles, cries, hugs and tears, I would not have the honor of celebrating.  Each moment with them affirmed what I know deep down in my heart, but often lose sight of, that to be a Mother is to be needed, to be relied upon, to put others first, to sacrifice.  And, while there are days when the sacrifice feels great, looking into the eyes of my children, knowing there is no one in the world they trust more, I am suddenly overwhelmed by the beauty of sacrificial love. 
 
Starting the day off grocery shopping as a family, each selecting donuts for breakfast and purchasing items to grill later, proved to be a special part of my morning.

 
I was able to slip away for an hour to visit with my mother and sister, before returning home to help prepare dinner for my dear mother-in-law.  I'm blessed to know and learn from each of these women, who continually invest in my life, affirming me as a young mom and who love our family unconditionally.
 
And, no Mother's Day would be complete without a failed photo op.  Clearly saying "Cheese" was asking too much of the little man and littlest.


However, after dinner all three were more than willing to comply.  And, this is how I will always remember my fifth Mother's Day. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs