Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Patterson's Farm

Last weekend we carved out just enough time between Jeff's studying and playoff baseball to enjoy the stunning colors of fall while apple picking at Patterson's Farm in Chesterland, Ohio.  Truth be told I prefer autumn above all other seasons.  Come September my eyes scan the treetops for the first signs of change, colors of gold, amber, and rust.  I purchase a Yankee candle car air freshener in the scent of Mcintosh Apple and inhale deeply as I drive.  While at the grocers, I keep my eye out for shiny, red Honey Crisps.  Each night I light an Autumn Wreath Yankee candle, filling our home with the warm and spicy scents of fall.  And, I wait expectantly for the first opportunity to head to the apple orchard. 

Truth be told my husband prefers summer, days hot and temperatures high.  I'm sure deep down he finds my fascination and slight obsession with autumn somewhat amusing.  As I beam while riding shiny John Deere tractors, children in tow, he nods.  As I marvel over clusters of tiny apples, snapping shots of our children taking their first bites, he ponders how they keep "the beasts away" as to ensure apples for the picking.  As I savor each tart and sweet bite, searching for the perfect words to describe the taste, he politely chews offering up the occasional, "It's good." 

 Though our love of fall and its activities is not mutual, each autumn he takes me to the orchard, follows me to and fro, offers smiles of encouragement and holds my hand.   The homemade apple pie that awaits him has nothing to do with his positive attitude, I'm sure.

While some may describe this season as "overrated."  I will not name names. 
I find it to be purty darn perfect.
















The Honey Crisp of my eye.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs