Wednesday, January 8, 2014

It's not exactly a list


Today, I am 34.  And, the pulsing beat of Rhianna's "Diamonds" is pulsing through my mind, making me want to dance my way through this very frigid Wednesday in January, the day of my birth.  Undoubtedly, Rhianna's music is not for everyone, but some days her insanely rhythmic beats and haunting voice are exactly what our crew needs.   

Shine bright like a diamond
Shine bright like a diamond

Find light in the beautiful sea
I choose to be happy
You and I, you and I
We’re like diamonds in the sky



The first week of the New Year has brought with it colds that won't let up and obscene temperatures, keeping our pace slower than usual.  The children and I have been held up (willingly) for almost three full days, allowing plenty of time for reflection...and dance parties.  While the various tunes played on, favorites on repeat, I watched my little ones move with reckless abandonment, happy, their eyes shining bright, chests heaving.  And, I was moved. 

In a January 2011 blog post, Emily Freeman wrote the following, "We tend to dream big but live small.  January is for dreaming, and it feels brave and right, because we glimpse our potential and we dare to believe in a God who can do big things through us."  The first of January often inspires resolution.  The word resolve, igniting action, involving decision.  While I have never been one to put pen to paper, creating a formal list of New Year's resolutions, I am inspired and motivated by the thought of self-improvement, or better yet, extending myself in new ways, so as to better reflect the One whose image I bear.   And, suddenly I'm back to humming "shine bright like a diamond" and pondering this.

 
This year, for me, is the year of notice.  I want to live in light of truth, that "apart from Him I can do nothing," (John 15:5) and "I am fearfully and wonderfully made." (Psalm 139:14)  I want to take notice of my true love in ways new and fresh, never taking for granted his active presence in our home, his whit, or charm.  I want to see our little ones for the diamonds they are, rough around the edges, but oh, so very beautiful, full of sparkle and light.  I want to see beauty in my days, allowing it to move me, whether by tear or action.  I want to notice the people He has put in my path, be them stranger or kindred spirit.  I want to take note of what makes my heart sing, and do more of it. I want to recognize my potential, and the many ways that He IS at work (already) as I dream big but live small.
 
Welcome, year 34.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs