Monday, January 9, 2012

32 and surprised


It's official.  I'm 32.  No longer hovering near or around 30, but well on my way into a decade of life that promises many things for our family.  And, if I was a betting gal, which I am on the rare occasion when my husband entices me to sit down at the tables for a thrilling game of blackjack,  I would say 32 is going to be a good year.  And, thanks to said husband, my 32nd year of life started off with a series of sweet surprises that propelled my already upbeat mood from cheerful to down right celebratory.

Saturday morning I awoke feeling tired after a restless night of sleep thanks to two little darlings who tag teamed their way through a wake-filled night.  However, after a rare and much needed opportunity to lounge on the couch, my spirits lifted as the smell of pancakes wafted from the kitchen, pancakes I took no part in making (sweet surprise #1).  While consuming my man's fluffy flap jacks it was decided that we would make a family trip to Nordstrom for a quick Christmas exchange and to put my birthday gift card (from my generous in-laws) to good use.  Mama needed some new jeans!  Now, it is not often that we A) shop as a family and B) shop at Nordstrom.  Even more, it is not often (read: almost never) that my dear husband waits outside of a brightly lit dressing room with two lil' crazies while I try on various washes and cuts of premium denim (sweet surprise #2).  Not only did he wrangle our little ones into sweet daddy submission in my absence, but offered a gentle and reaffirming nod when asked which jeans flattered my mom-of-two dairy aire.  With new denim purchased (on sale!), we made our way home for a quick lunch before putting the kids to bed. 

As I busied myself with lunch, Jeff left for what was supposed to be a quick (and innocent) errand, picking up a co-worker from the airport.  He arrived home 45 minutes later.  Within minutes of his arrival, I received a phone call from my dear friend Adriana, and seconds later I opened our apartment door to find these two gals...my birthday presents! (Sweet surprises 3 and 4)



Apparently the very night he graduated from residency, Jeff put into motion a plan that would surprise the pants off me seven months later. (Good thing I had purchased new jeans earlier in the day.)  As my shock turned into giddiness, I began asking questions attempting to wrap my mind around the fact that my girlfriends from residency, girlfriends who live in Arkansas and Michigan, were now standing in my Cleveland apartment.  

We would spend the afternoon enjoying an almost three hour lunch (that might have gone longer if a certain Cheesecake Factory waiter had not kept giving us a pleading and slightly evil eye), a walk through the mall with coffees in hand, and dinner reservations for three at Lolita's, a Michael Symon restaurant I had been attempting to go to for months (sweet surprise #5).

Dinner was amazing, and that I shared it wish such dear friends was extra special.  I continued to marvel over their well executed plan all evening, and returned home that evening a very full, content, and thankful 32-year-old.

At breakfast the next morning I could not shake the smile from my face as I sat surrounded by my sweet ones, thoughtful husband, and friends Adri, Sara and her husband, Pete in one enormous booth at Yours Truly Restaurant.  It is difficult to put into words how it felt to have friends willing to travel the miles to see me and a husband who took the time to initiate and plan such a meaningful weekend.  All of the cost, time, covert airport pick-ups, secret email exchanges and text messages just to help a girl welcome year thirty-two. 
Once again, my cup runneth over. 



2 comments:

  1. What awesome surprises!! How fun to spend time with your madtown girls. Can't wait to see the new jeans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that mr. larson is a keeper! so glad you had a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs