Monday, December 9, 2013

Children at Play

 
It doesn't take much to influence who your child will become.
- Wess Stafford
 
As temperatures continue to drop and snow covers grassy lawns, we find ourselves settling into the slow and steady pace of winter.  Outings are thoughtful, and less spontaneous as the thought of stuffing layered little ones into car seats yet again exhausts.  And, in the quiet and often long afternoons of winter, I struggle, not with what to do, but with what not to do. 
 
As a young child, I grew up in a home, under that watchful care of a mother who allowed me the freedom to create.  I am told that I "created" all over the house, collecting items, creating sacred piles that could not be touched, redecorating, reorganizing, creating worlds to be discovered, classrooms, and projects for my younger brother.  It must be said that I remember living in a tidy and well-organized home, and I'm sure that my creative contributions often cluttered our main living space or at the very least were an eye sore.  Perhaps, it drove my mother crazy, the creative chaos, but I wouldn't have known, all I remember is her daily support and enthusiasm for my creativity. 
 
As fate would have it, I now find myself staring at piles, sacred piles, all around our home.  They are a sign of a little lady busy at work, a little lady born to create, born to strike the notes of the piano as she prances by, born to shift furniture, stack items, repurpose toys, write, draw, fill bags with anything and everything, always prepared for the next big adventure.  And, when I enter yet another room to find order replaced by creative chaos, I struggle to hold my tongue and the nagging urge to clean, sort, and stack.  I'm simultaneously impressed and fatigued by her creations. 
 
Wess Stafford in his article "Moments That Last a Lifetime" writes, "The spirit of a child is a lot like wet cement.  It doesn't take much effort to make an imprint.  Any time you see your child go skipping by, you're in the presence of a construction zone and ought to ask yourself, What is being built here?  Is there anything I can do to advance this cause?  Discipline and routines are important, of course, but so is our response to those unplanned, seemingly trivial moments."
 
So many of our shared moments as a young family appear at first glance to be "seemingly trivial."  It is easy to miss the significance of toys stacked high, decorated by a single strand of Christmas lights, but I know that to her it is important, just as my mother knew.  It is my prayer that this winter season, I learn the value of a "mess," and that I embrace the clutter, for it IS sacred.   
 
 Teaching little brother the art of perfectly placed furniture.

Luke Skywalker meets Princess Leia in the aisles of Michael's craft store.
 

 An afternoon spent coordinating "Joey's wedding."
 
Early morning devotions in the master bedroom closet, a moment almost missed due to my need for order and morning routine.  Thankfully, I stopped long enough to hang the lights, and stand back amazed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs