Friday, September 28, 2012

alexander days


"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

There are days when life feels like a page out of Judith Viorst's Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Mostly likely it is not a matter of waking up with gum in our hair; however, as a mom there is always the slight possibility of discovering an unknown substance (typically disgusting in nature) on a random body part ("What the what?") left by an unknown source (one measuring less than 4 feet).  On days such as these, when life feels out of sync, a series of unfortunate events, filled with poorly made decisions and failed plans, overreactions, and unnecessary strife we are tempted to succumb to the negativity of our day, throwing our exasperated hands into the air, praying for the very hour we can at last lay our weary heads on our pillows, shut our eyes, and wake to a new day, one that is not. so. very. bad.  

For me, the "bad" days are not exactly horrible, just those filled with a series of annoying circumstances and inconveniences that when combined leave me feeling deflated.  On those days, I have struggled to keep perspective, allowed my emotions to guide all parenting decisions, failed to have a heart of gratitude, and relied on my own strength to carry me through each moment of household insanity.  You would think at (almost) 35 weeks pregnant, I would recognize that at the moment I am, in fact, not very strong.  I'm pretty confident our 2 1/2 year old could push me over at any moment.  The physical challenges of my day being only half the battle, the real struggle occurs within as I daily battle the inner workings of sin in my life that draw my attention to the imperfections around me instead of gazing upward on the One who is perfect.

This week after a particularly stressful morning, the kind of morning where you look up at the clock and are dumbfounded to discover it is only 9 am, I was encouraged to read the following:
 

“...the duties God requires of us are not in proportion to the
strength we possess in ourselves. Rather, they are proportional to the
resources available to us in Christ. We do not have the ability in
ourselves to accomplish the least of God’s tasks. This is a law of
grace. When we recognize it is impossible for us to perform a duty in
our own strength, we will discover the secret of its accomplishment.
But alas, this is a secret we often fail to discover.” John Owen

We are weak, yet He is strong. 

And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
 
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
2 Corinthians 9:8

May I approach each new day with a heart of gratitude, and the knowledge of God's active presence in my life and all-sufficient grace that will equip me for every good work.


 





2 comments:

  1. i needed this read this am, my friend. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post Becky! I needed to be reminded of this as well after a long week with sick kids, and being sick myself!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs