Thursday, August 23, 2012

back at it

 
5:17 am - saunter to the bathroom for my third bathroom trip of the "night." (If you're ever awake at 12:30 am, 3 am, or just after 5 in the morning, say a little prayer for me...and my bladder.)
 
5:18 am - saunter back to bed, plop into one of two "cozy" positions.
 
5:19 am - Jeff rolls over, settling into an even cozier sleeping position. (One that is no longer possible for me and my watermelon of a belly. I will not be envious; it would be shameful to have my first sinful thought before 6 am.)
 
5:20 am - iphone's alarm signals the start of our day.  Jeff responds quickly, silencing its unpleasant chirp.  From down the hall, the methodical sounds of the K-cup coffee maker being loaded can be heard. (I linger in bed, careful to flex my stiff legs in a way that will avoid the inevitable leg spasm that will occur in the event of  any sudden movement. Third trimester, how you taunt my aging body daily.)
 
5:25 am - I make my way to the kitchen to find my K-cup, coffee cup, and Slim-Fast Chocolate Peanut Carmel bar waiting for me. (The Slim-Fast bar having nothing to do with managing pregnancy weight, and everything to do with a continued morning craving and love affair.)
 
5:30 am - Commence quiet time.
 
 
Monday evening, between mouthfuls of Hodge's delicious food, Jeff and I enjoyed an hour or so of uninterrupted (with the exception of our delightful waiter's steady presentation of courses, which did not bother me in the least) conversation.  At one point in the conversation, Jeff suggested that he might resume waking with his alarm, which typically goes off 45 minutes prior to when he actually gets out of bed, to spend time alone in the Word.  I offered to join him, realizing that I, too, missed having that time of solitude and preparation before the start of my day.  We have been rising early ever since.
 
Three days in, I am thankful for the following:
 
- the peace that rising early brings to my heart, mind and soul as I reflect on Scripture, read, and pray
- the opportunity to quietly study beside my husband
- the positive effect waking early has on the remainder of my day
- the fact that my husband is funny even at 5:30 in the morning
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs