Monday, March 11, 2013

Looking Up

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them." (Deuteronomy 4:9)
 

I love to position the littlest on my legs and watch her as she uses her neck muscles to look up at me.  As her neck muscles have strengthened this task has become easier, but it still requires a bit of effort on her part as she balances her bobble head to meet my gaze.  As our eyes lock, her grin widens and suddenly she is overcome with happiness, as am I as we sit staring at one another.

This simple exercise recently got me thinking.  Our littlest has learned that the effort involved in looking up reaps a great reward, face to face interaction.   The comfort of my smile or catching a glimpse of her reflection in the mirror motivates her to look up even when the weight of her own head makes it difficult to do so.  How often in life do we allow the weight of daily tasks or troubles prevent us from looking up?   When my eyes are kept firmly on Christ, the author and perfecter of my faith, I experienced great joy and comfort as I rest in His love and grace. 

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

-Helen H. Lemmel



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs